Junior Cinematic Animator
Join Wonderstruck and be a key part of our friendly, innovative and inclusive team supporting Larian Studios on their highly anticipated game Baldur’s Gate 3.
We’re looking for talented Junior Animators to help take our in-game Cinematic Animations to new heights. First and foremost you’ll be responsible for retargeting playable character races, alongside editing mocap data to create charming and believable animation. Keyframing skills may also be required.
Wonderstruck is an independent game studio based in the heart of the UK's Game Industry (a.k.a. Guildford).
Back in 2009, a group of industry veterans from some of the UK's most well-known game powerhouses (EA, Criterion, Sony, Lionhead... ) came together to create a vibrant studio, that has grown over the years to include a diverse range of developers from different disciplines and backgrounds. We are proud to have released our own titles including Boundless, The Marvellous Miss Take, and Polycraft.
Most recently, we've been working alongside the multi-award-winning Larian Studios on the creation of Baldur's Gate 3.
The studio’s first specialism was our online games platform GA.ME powered by the open source Turbulenz Engine.
- Ongoing retargeting of playable character races.
- Understand the requirements of the game and maintain the animation style of the production title.
- Create charming and believable in-game animations ranging from the biggest creature to the smallest assets.
- Communicate with your peers and supervisor
- Supporting cinematic artist’s animation requests when integrating their scenes.
- Assisting with edits to performance VO motion capture clean-up requests.
- Troubleshoot animation pipelines using the in house proprietary game engine.
- Demonstrate a consistently high standard of quality in all work produced.
- Maintain your own animations through polish and bug fixing.
- A third level qualification or university degree with a focus on animation.
- Field experience in Autodesk Maya with its script languages as a bonus
- Demonstrable skills in keyframed humanoid and animal/creature animation.
- Effective communicator and a team player.
- Passionate about animation, with a bonus for an active interest in non-mainstream animation productions.
- Capable of dealing with:
- Production limitations of character and animation pipelines.
- Collaborative work in a studio environment, in both taking and giving feedback.
- Giving feedback in a constructive and motivating manner.
- Voicing opinions in a professional manner.
- A thorough understanding of:
- Fundamentals of animation theory, techniques and acting/staging.
- The English language, both written as spoken.
- Must be eligible to work in the UK and possess any required documents (visa/permit).
Nice to Haves
- An understanding of game development processes and limitations.
- Interest in motion capture and performance capture pipelines for games is desirable.
- An active interest in video games and / or role-playing games
How to Apply
For further questions or if you would like to apply for this position, please send your CV, link to your showreel and covering letter to Stephanie Fawcett at email@example.com.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to complete an animation test.
All candidates must be eligible to work in the UK.Other openings